Saturday, September 24, 2011

Underground Film Festival



Rheea & Co. Top/ Rock & Republic Jeans/ Chinese Laundry Heels/ Watch, Nordstrom
 
This past Thursday {courtesy of Yelp} I attended opening night of the Oakland Underground Film Festival at the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland. We saw a screening of 'Yelling to the Sky', which should hit theaters sometime next year. The movie features Zoe Kravitz {Lenny Kravitz's daughter} and Gabourey Sidibe {from the movie Precious}and told a coming of age story based on the Film Maker's life. Honestly for me the movie was really intense and emotional, I did a fair amount of crying, but it was really moving. The best part was that afterwards they held a Q&A with the film maker. We found out that the movie was shot in only 18 days and there was a 2-take max per scene; it seems pretty amazing to deliver such a great movie under those major time/budget constraints! Also, I must say I was very impressed with the Grand Lake Theater. The 85 year old theater is gorgeous with lots of character, if you are ever in the area, I definitely recommend seeing a movie here!
  



1 comment: